Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:14:53 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, joelh@gnu.org, mike@smith.net.au, dmm125@bellatlantic.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD equiv. of /proc/loadavg

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> > We can't tell you; the use of the term was Not Invented Herei, and
> > thus, like SysV rc.d, we fear and mistrust it...  8-).
>
> 	Oh Terry!  i dont like rc.d because i am left which
> 	"which of these scripts in which directory did what!"
> 	why?  grr....
>
> 	with our current strcuture, we have some separation without
> 	reaching the level of cookiness that sunos 5.5.1 provides:
> 	70 shell scripts scattered across 5 directories.

One positive advantage of the SYSV start-script approach is that there is
a good chance of finding a single script that can start and stop a single
package or daemon.

This is a bit of a mess in FreeBSD 2.2.6-R, IMHO - each application that
needs to be stopped or started supplies its own administrative interface,
like ndc (bind) and apachectl (apache) , each living in a different place,
requiring different parameters.

My $0.02 only :)

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008