Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:35:33 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        chris@redstarnetworks.net
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realpath(3) et al

Chris Odell wrote:

>   Corporations - INTERNET Companies...
>
>   If you look at the big picture, having a O.S. that has been audited
> for issues would actually be cost effective for them. Having to patch a
> machine that is in service causes downtime.
>
>   Lets see -
>
>   Each machine takes ten (10) minutes of human work to drop into single
> user mode and install new binaries/kernels
>
>   The company has one thousand (1000) machines
>
>   That comes to ten thousand (10000) minutes, broken down to hours - 167
> Hours
>
>   The average admin say is making forty five (45) dollars a hour - over
> $7000.00 - not including taxes paid by employer.
>
>   So if one hundred fifty companies donated one thousand dollars (1000)
> it would save them downtime, payroll, and taxes.
>
>   Just a rough estimate and my 2 cents

Unfortunately, you're assuming there are 150 companies with 1000 FreeBSD
machines, that have an admin getting paid $90k/yr.

I think you'd have better luck raising $50 from 3000 people to achieve
that same amount of money, but still I believe it would be very hard.

Eric

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?