Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:09:52 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptops with ATI Radeon 1400x1050 displays

I continue to look for information on the problems that seem to exist
with many 1400x1050 displays using Radeon Mobility M7 video.

The problem also is seen with Linux, but there is a potential fix
involving the APM code. It has to do with the timing of startup. I'm
told the patch increases the delay in a resume to allow the display to
"settle".

Of course, the FreeBSD apm.c is very different from the Linux code and
the few lines in the Linux diff I received don't even indicate what
part of the driver the patch is in. I plan to look for the Linux apm.c
shortly and see if I can figure out just what they are doing with the
purported fix.

Since I don't think apm.c deals with APM turning off the display when
not suspending, I don't really see how this can be a fix although I
could believe that it could be modified to interact with this
function.

Then again, I really don't know anything about APM, so I may just be
jabbering foolishly.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)