Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:46:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exporting a variable on login

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 05:17:37PM +0200, Patrick Holahan wrote:
> Hey Barry,
>
> > > Hi guys & gals..
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get cvs to work on my BSD 4.6-RELEASE system.. and
> > > I'd like to
> > > make it easier to use for the clients loggin on.
> > > So what I'd like to do is set the CVSROOT variable to /usr/local/cvsroot
> > >
> > > However, when I try set this in .profile like so:
> > >
> > > CVSROOT=/usr/local/cvsroot; export CVSROOT
> > > It doesn't work
> > >

> > Patrick:
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > /etc/profile  for sh-like shells (bash, sh, ksh)
> > /etc/csh.login for csh-like shells (csh, tcsh)
>
> Thanks very much.. This worked perfectly (:

Alternatively try /etc/login.conf -- one change for all shells...

    default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,CVSROOT=/usr/local/cvs:\

and don't forget to 'cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf' after editing the file...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow