Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 07:55:07 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and demand start

>>>>> "Atsushi" == Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp> writes:

-Atsushi> wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT ) wrote:

-Atsushi> :A different problem I have: The timeout would occur even with an
-Atsushi> :active connection.  It seems that if I don't keep pinging something
-Atsushi> :while I'm connected (Either through an 'slurp' or long ftp session) it
-Atsushi> :will timeout.  Most strange. Ideas anyone?

-Atsushi> Try "timeout 0"

-Atsushi> Atsushi.

Sure, that will cause the line to not hang up, but then pppd does the
same thing.  It would be nice to have it start on demand, and not
hangup if in use.

I short fix I gues is to set the timeout to 300 (5 mins) and write a
shell script to do a netstat every 4 mins.  If netstat returns a non-
local connection, ping  some random remote hosts (ping -c 1
random.host).  That 'would' work too, but not an optimal solution.

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
wolpert@utk.edu                |
Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.