Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:42:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      E Lakin <pharaoh@u.washington.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading 2.2.1->2.2.2 problem

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, E Lakin wrote:
> > While trying to upgrade my machine to 2.2.2, i ran into a problem early-
> > my machine won't boot from any of the 2.2.2 media! I've tried making a
> > boot disk from the boot.flp on the cdrom, and also booting to dos and
> > running install.bat from the cd-rom.
> >
> > symptoms: freebsd probes all of my hardware, and then gets a double
> > fault.
>
> Ack!
>
> We'll need the panic output before we can isolate what's going on.

Unfortunately, there's no panic output. Here's what it says when
booting from a floppy disk:

...various HW probes...
changing root device to fd0c
panic: double fault

syncing disks...

Then, the machine freezes. The same thing happens when booting from
the cdrom from dos, sans the "changing root device" line.

	--eric lakin