Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 10:17:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound on Dell inspiron

On Thursday, 25 May 2000 at 16:36:32 -0500, Drew Sanford wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have FreeBSD 4.0 (from the CD) on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I'm running
> the KDE desktop, and was wondering how to fix an error with the mixer. When
> trying to start the mixer I get the following error:
>
> kmix: could not open mixer.
> Perhaps you have no permission to access the mixer device.
> Login as root and do a 'chmod a+rw /dev/mixer*' to allow the access.
>
> Well, I can't find /dev/mixer* ect...I am assuming that since I never actually
> did it, that sound on this laptop is not configured. I'm familiar with linux,
> and alot of stuff in BSD looks "the same, only different", so I'm assuming I'm
> going to have to configure the sound. My 	questions are these:
>
> 	Is the configuration process for sound on FreeBSD and Linux basicly the
> same, or is this one of the things thats different?

I don't think there's anything in common, but I don't know Linux.

> 	Has anyone configured sound on one of these beasts before, and
> can they provide some clues?

In order to answer that question, we need to know what kind of laptop
you have.  "Inspiron" isn't enough: they have model numbers as well.
Also, the output of dmesg is important.

> I'm not sure what sort of card is in this laptop either (I suppose I
> could boot NT and look, but I'd really rather not.)

I might be able to find that out if I knew what model you have.

Greg