Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:44:31 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dave Runkle <drunkle@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eterm only runs as root?

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 22:17:02 PST, Dave Runkle wrote:

> I can't believe that I overlooked this somewhere in the docs, but
> Eterm will not run as a regular user for me. I've changed perms on
> the /usr/X11R6/bin/Eterm, but it still won't run under any user
> except for root. I get seg fault every time. Runs great under root.

This isn't so strange.  Even the stsock xterm that comes with XFree86 is
suid root:

ls -l `which xterm`
-rws--x--x  1 root  wheel  158780 Oct 15 17:32 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

I believe this is required for manipulation of /etc/utmp.  A glance at
the manpage suggests that the xterm resource utmpInhibit might get you
past the requirement for suid root on the binary.

Check the docs for Eterm, though. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.