Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:23:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netstat -r

> > Our FreeBSD server has been in operation for about a year and it just
> > runs like a charm.  Every so often
> > I do "netstat -r" just to make sure that I'm still being the bandwidth
> > hog on our network.  Today, however,
> > instead of the customary inverse-mapping that I get from the /etc/hosts
> > file I got a note on each listing  saying:
> >
> > 	"read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net" followed by our Private IP
> > Address and Ethernet Address
> >
> > What could have changed to create this output?  We have always been
> > using RFC 1918 addressing
> > along with NAT.
>
> 	It's telling you that you tried to reverse resolve an IP address that was
> private without configuring your name server to reverse them correctly.
>
> 	DS

I don't think so.
As one of the previous responders noted, for some reason,
today at least several hosts in 10.x.x.x zone had the reverse lookup
set to show read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net

I had seen it myself for our regional router (or whatever it is) -
today mid-day, then it turned back to be nameless again.

It looks like somebody at IANA was tweaking (I hope not hacking :)
the DNS for 10.0.0.1 or its part.

IgoR