Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 06:23:35 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.dialix.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some makefile patches to stop the !#^%!& include files being touched

On Mon, 15 May 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > These were done from a very recent -current..  I got sick of the include
> > files being touched, causing make to rebuild the entire system again.
> >
> > Most of the makefiles were fixed, but these two slipped through:
>
> This is a very small band aid for a much larger problem which I will start
> in on fixing as soon as 2.0.5 is out the door.

You are not wrong there..  Reinstalling the static libs causes a relink
in /bin and /sbin (among others).  I dont mind a relink anywhere as much
as a recompile-the-entire-system because I forgot to reapply the patches
after sup kindly "repaired" them for me.

Damn.  What a problem! :-)  Having recently come from a binary-only
system, the last thing I should be griping about is recompiling the
source... :-)  :-)

Seriously though..  I suspect that a "cmp -s" will fail for many
static libs, merely because of the "ranlib" or "ranlib -t" after the
install.. even though they are otherwise identical.

Cheers,
-Peter