Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:31:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Dave Hayes wrote:
> >> You are not allowed to place your hand on their jaw and close
> >> their mouth.
> >
> > But I'm allowed to slam the door, right?
>
> It's your door. It's their mouth. The analogy doesn't apply in an
> electronic medium. Controlling another's communication is not
> honorable. Tuning out unwanted communication is honorable. The
> distinction is obvious, even if you don't want it to be.

Making my mail server not accept connections from their IP address
is the same as locking my door.

> > A blacklist is a just lock that you obtain from a third party,
> > which will not open for people you don't want coming through
> > your door.
>
> Nonsense. Blacklists are evil, most always generate false positives,
> and have nothign to do with locks and doors.

Locking your keys in your car is a false positive.  Taking the
wrong keys with you when you leave, and then coming back to
find your spouse has locked you out is a false positive.

Can you address these physical world false positives for us,
so that we then have a model we can apply in the electronic
world?  Thanks...

> > Hardly; people can make their own decisions as much as they
> > want, particularly when it comes to blacklisting of SPAM'mers
> > by their ISP: discontinue their ISP service, and obtain service
> > from some other ISP.
>
> Exactly what I recommend when a blacklisting service includes
> innocents in an attempt to force others to do their will.

Then I don't see why it's a problem, if you already have a
solution in hand.

> Zealotry, even in the name of science, is a strong poison.

As is any zealotry.

-- Terry