Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:21:46 -0400
From:      Payne <payne@magidesign.com>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <edinho64@netscape.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Databases

E. J. Cerejo wrote:

> I have a small business and I'm looking to setup a freebsd server.  I
> want to connect about 4 clients to this server running windows XP.
> The Freebsd server will keep a database of every customer address,
> phone number, what services that were performed, how much was charged,
> etc etc.  This is basically all I need for now and I was wondering
> which opensource database would do this in the easiest possible way.
> Also what software would I use in the client boxes to access this
> database (input and output).
>
> Best regards to all

As other have written, MySQL is the way to good. If you buy the FreeBSD
CD MySQL  is on the CD. All you need to is down load 3.51 ODBC drivers
which work great with MS Office, or you can use PHP to write your own
web base apps. We are currently using MySQL with ODBC and PHP and really
love the fact that we can custom our web apps to the way we want them to
work vs. the way out of the box apps work. Also take a look at
phpMyAdmin  or  MySQL Center Control  these are great apps to help admin
the database. Plus, there are thousand of Open Source programs and code
that you can find to help you.

Payne