Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:38:04 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: SATA 300 Drive Being Run At 150

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 12:10:12AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 'k, I just bought a new desktop, SATA/300MB/s interface, and this drive:
>
> <http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=254>;
>
> Web site states 3Gb/s ... I'm seeing same SATA!50:

Seagate and WDC both ship SATA300 drives with a SATA150-limiting jumper
on them.  It's documented on the drive itself, and in the manufacturing
manuals.  Both companies do this as a precaution; there are some buggy
chipsets out there which claim to support SATA300 but then break badly
when utilising it.  This is why the jumper's set to SATA150 by default.

Chances are your drives have the jumper limiting the drive to SATA150.