Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:45:27 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ariane & Ron Joordens <joordens@aanet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot error

On 2005-12-23 14:18, Ariane & Ron Joordens <joordens@aanet.com.au> wrote:
> Afternoon All,
>
> My FreeBSD 6.0 computer refuses to boot. It gets to the screen where it
> pauses for 10 seconds and gives you the choice of 8 boot options, and
> then...nothing!
>
> Choosing the default option shows a single line "/boot/kernel/acpi.ko
> text= etc,..." then the next line shows "|", and that's it. All the
> other boot options show just the "|" and that's it. I have waited for up
> to 30 minutes, but no change. The only way out is to reset the computer.
>
> Prior to this prblem the computer worked perfectly. FreeBSD 5.4 was
> installed about 4 months ago, this was upgraded to 6.0 about 2 months
> ago. Everything had been recompiled and I never had any problems, until
> this.
>
> I suspect that my 2 year old son has been pressing the power button
> repeatedly which may have caused this.

Do you still have the FreeBSD install CD-ROM?  You can use that to boot.

DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING, though :)

Just make sure that the CD-ROM boots fine up to the sysinstall menu.

If that works, then there's definitely something wrong with the kernel
or the other boot files you have on disk, and we'll see what can be
done.