Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:20:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Hummel <dave@dnh.pce.net>
To:        Dave Walton <walton@emusic.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting a FreeBSD-related project

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look further into IMP and Qmail.

Basically where I'm coming from:

My company has been using Solaris with Netscape Directory Server (ldap
server)  and Netscape Messaging Server (email). Basically, I've been given
the freedom to use FreeBSD instead so long as our mail service was ldap
enabled. I guess you could say that I want to build a replacement for the
Netscape servers. My research lead me to the conclusion that sendmail
would do the trick, but that I was out of luck as far as a free imap/pop
server was concerned. A look at the cyrus code convinced me that
integrating ldap was fairly trivial. Wrapping the whole thing in SSL and a
spiffy interface would pretty much complete the project, and I could
transfer all my users in short order. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one
who would like to do this - if I am I'll just throw it together the best
way I know how, but I'd rather make something other people have a use for
too.

From what I know of IMP (which isn't that much), it may well be the key to
making a nifty interface for both end users and administrators.

Again, thanks.

Dave