Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:18:10 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>, "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

Jeremiah writes:

> I setup my FreeBSD servers with Samba, qmail,
> and a transparent bridge/firewall configuration
> on the WAN.

I have read about Samba but I have not tried it thus far.  I'm very wary of emulation software because it almost always seems to be
a complete hornet's nest to get into, and it rapidly becomes very time-consuming to maintain.  Perhaps Samba is a happy exception,
though.

If you use FreeBSD and Samba instead of a Windows server, what things do you _lose_, from the Windows desktop user's standpoint?

> Most companies will be more than happy to discover
> that they don't need so many MCSEs on their staff.

What ever gave them the impression that they needed any MCSEs at all?  One of the selling points of a Windows intranet has always
been that you don't need specialized administrators working full-time to keep it running.

If you are going to pay money for full-time administrators, you may as well install UNIX.

MCSE certifications themselves are worthless.  All you need is a little bit of time and money, and an average memory that can last
long enough to take the exam.

> It's quite easy to convince managers that their IT
> staff is substandard and overpaid, since they've
> been thinking that to themselves for months.

It's easy if it is true.  I suspect that it is true more often in the Windows world than in the UNIX world, because it's far easier
to fake things in the Windows environment.

> I'm sure I've made it clear I enjoy breaking up the
> happy little world of MCSEs and the companies they're
> hoodwinking.

Credentialism is a form of closed-shop policy and restraint of trade, and I'm never in favor of it.