Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:35 +0100
From:      "Richard Burnett-Godfree" <Richard@Tribune-IS.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Tuneable Parameters

I am trying to port software currently running on hp-ux to freeBSD 4.9.

The application I have will normally run for large numbers of users
accessing database applications.

On hp-ux to enable reasonable user numbers with large numbers of files open
I would normally tune

MAXFILES			No files per process
MAXFILES_LIM		System level max files per process
MAXUPRC			Max no user processes
MAXUSERS			Used by kernel generation to calc tables sizes
NFILE				Max no files open
NFLOCKS			Max no file locks
NINODE			Max no inodes open
NPTY				Max no of virtual telnet devices

Where do these exist in FreeBSD or do I not worry about these type of
things.  I would normally experience 'unable to fork process' or issues with
performance as unix files are opened and accessed dynamically on a 'least
recently used' basis based on the size of some of these tables.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Richard