Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:03:11 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A * as encrypted password?

Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de> types:

> > > Just make create the user, using any password you like. After that, edit
> > > /etc/master.passwd, putting the "*" into the passwd field
> >
> > I believe just editing the master.passwd file without running pwd_mkdb(8)
> > has no effect. The vipw tool runs some checks and does this for you.
>
> Sorry to condratict Walter, but:

Likewise.

> The vipw tool encrypts the "*" to a valid passwd string, thus you may
> login using the passwd "*". Do as I said first and nobody will be able
> to login, because the string "*" will never match any encrypted passwd.

4.2-STABLE doesn't do this. Neither does any other Unix system I've
dealt with.

> Try it: create test user, vipw his passwd to "*", log in using passwd
> "*". Next, vi /etc/master.passwd, changing the encrypted passwd to "*",
> try to login again.

Well, I did - and I can't log in using "*" after the first step. In
fact, checking /etc/master.passwd shows the "*" in the password field,
so it didn't encrypt it. If I then use passwd to set the password,
/etc/passwd has a "*", but /etc/master.passwd has a long string of
gibberish, and I can indeed log in using the new password.

	<mike