Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:22:04 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        Tony Jones <tony@tonyjones.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.8.2 problems (was Re: how to build Spamassassin)

On Dec 11, 2003, at 9:54 AM, Tony Jones wrote:

> I'm very unfamiliar with the ports system.  I've never heard of
> portinstall
> or portupgrade.
>
> Just running make && make install in the appropriate port subdirectory.

It seems to me you're making this really complicated: I don't know what
difference it makes where things get installed (/usr/local/{language}/
. . . ), but I have been using the ports collection as it comes without
a problem. One of the benefits of using a system (like FreeBSD) is that
there are some design conventions and decisions you can rely on.

My advice, and worth every penny you're paying, would be to use the
ports system and become familiar with it before hacking around it. To
that end, I would do, as root"
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade; make install and then use that to
manage the rest of it with portinstall <portname>, in your case perl5.8
and spamassassin. You may need to run "use.perl port" between those
steps to ensure that spamassassin gets built against perl5.8 and
doesn't complain about the wrong version.

--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>