Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 20:12:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

In message <200011090301.eA931Pv26563@cwsys.cwsent.com> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:
: Another idea:  Building static and dynamic binaries and storing them in
: separate directories within /usr/obj would allow for one buildworld to
: be used to installworld on larger (static) and smaller (dynamic)
: systems without running buildworld twice.
:
: BTW, it should be painted green.

I'll put the bike shed in place, and let others paint it green :-)

I'm very happy at the savings.  On my CF part, I've saved enough to
squeeze onto a 8M part in a pinch (obviously with no application, but
with a few of the frequently requested binaries like csh).

Not bad for 15 minutes worth of hacking and a lot of waiting for
buildworld to finish :-)

I'm leaning toward DYNAMIC_ROOT_BINS right now.  I like Mike's idea to
have a NO_STATIC_LIBRARIES as well, which would make installing onto
the flash easier (since I install them now and then later blow them
away).

Warner