Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:43:07 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacing ^M with emacs

On 2006-10-27 12:26, Noah <admin2@enabled.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It appears that a text editor placed a bunch on ^M throughout a text
> file I am working with.  I assure this is equivalent to eh keystroke
> control-M.

Open the file in Emacs with:

    M-x find-file-literally RET filename RET

and then replace all ^M occurences with the empty string, with:

    M-x replace-string RET C-q C-m RET RET

The important trick here is that you use C-q to 'quote' the C-m
character in the substitution string :)

> also is there a mail list focused specifically on emacs usability?
> please refer me to it?

There are at least 2 USENET newsgroups where GNU Emacs questions can be
posted:

    comp.emacs
    gnu.emacs.help

I'm not sure about mailing lists, though.

Regards,
Giorgos