Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:58:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        boris_2000@omskmail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ports

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 07:10:57PM +0400, Boris wrote:

> I`m using my FreeBSD 4.4 at home and as a result I have to use dial up for
> Internet. And while using ports I`m disconnecting and program didn`t
> download, I must to start again. It`s very uncomfortable for me, as a
> result I must use wget or other. Why not to add a future a resuming
> download for ports? Please answer. Thank You

Yes --- I've had that experience.  However, adding a "resume download"
for ports is probably not going to happen.  The reasons are:

   i) If you're using an `always on' sort of connection (ADSL, leased
   line), then download failures are usually to do with more serious
   problems than a disconnected phone call.  In that case it's better
   to give up, return some sort of error and rely on human
   intervention to fix the problem.  It's usually better to delete any
   partially downloaded files as well -- because ...

   ii) The ports Makefiles have no way of telling if a file has been
   completely downloaded.  They work essentially on whether a file of
   the right name is there or not.  If the file is there, the make
   program will assume that the download worked and go on to the next
   stage: comparing the downloaded file against the recorded checksum.
   Even that cannot distinguish between a file that has been truncated
   by an incomplete download or a file that has been altered in some
   other way -- e.g. replaced by different contents.

   iii) If you are on a system where truncated downloads are a
   problem, then you do have the option of doing a `fetch -r'
   manually.  You set 'FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS= -R' in /etc/make.conf to
   stop the ports system deleting what you've just downloaded.

> P.S:Sorry for my English.

It's better than my Russian.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK