Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:57:25 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ernst@jollem.com, jdp@polstra.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, trevor@jpj.net
Subject:   Re: Supporting pkg-plist.gz ?

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 01:38:15PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Actually we could save much more disk space by collapsing
> one-line pkg-comment files into either pkg-descr or Makefile
> [bikeshed pending]. This way we could free about 5MB
> (5,000 files * 1,024 bytes wasted per file) w/o any significant
> disadvantage.

	Also, fearing the bikeshed, we should rediscuss the
pkg-comment issue. We could do it right before 4.4R or 5.0R
whichever comes first. Therefore, we should have, at least,
3 months to reach a consensus. And the move should not
be worse than PKGDIR to pkg-files.
	I would vote for pkg-descr: 1st line of pkg-descr is
the comment. We could make the move over 2 weeks. During the mode,
if .mk finds a pkg-comment, uses it; otherwise, get first line
from pkg-descr.
	Or, to avoid serious battles with master/slave ports
maintainers (I am one), we could have the COMMENT inside
Makefile which could make for a very peaceful transition. Mine
included. If you did not get it, the battle is over the fact
that slave ports share some files, but not others and we use
the COMMENT variable to point to the appropriate file but
sometimes share DESCR. So mixing it inside another would give
us problems.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )