Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:41:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Routing question

Hi, My name is Fabio Andres Miranda,student of
computer science at uninorte.edu.co
This is my problem and i hope someone points me with
this, i am very confused, even though, i have the
support and help of some teachers at college, this
still very hard:

I'll buy a leased line of 19,2Kbps from a local telco
that uses Cisco HDLC protocol. the network diagrama is
something like:
Internet<->Cisco 4500(TELCO)<->DSU/CSU<->leased
line<->DSU/CSU<->Wan card on sever(my office)

The interface between the DSU/CUS's and the DCE's(in
this case the telco's cisco4500 and mine wancard) is
rs232.
I'll have assigned 6 class C ips.
I'll use a Wan card that recives the line on server A,
and all the possible destionation *IS* the same server
A.
It's like: All the packets that go out from my network
are sent by the server and all the packets come to my
network are recived by the SAME server.
I will use the 6 ips, they will be registered domains,
and, all the 6 ips will be on the same server
(aliases), so, any request from the outside is RECIVED
by the server (using the wan) and ANSWERED by the same
server(with unix daemons over the same wancard).
The server runs FreeBSD-3.4 and it has a built-in
firewall on the kernel for protect the lan(3 clients
on my office).Of course, the needed daemons of a
normal web server are configurated on the same server.

My doubts are:
What type of routing should i use?
What configuration needs for FreeBSD?
How can i configurate it?
Would you please give me a config example?

let's say the TELCO ip range is:
200.20.20.1 to 200.20.20.255
ok, i'll have 6 ips of them, let's say:
200.20.20.10 200.20.20.15
What's my subnet/broadcast/netmask? (This is in any
book, i know, but the I will use the same as telco's?)

Thanks for help...on Douglas Comer books about tcp/ip
network, i read something that suits mine needs
(probably):

"Routes assigned by default":It's used for keep
reduced the routing tables. The routing ip software
look for routing table first, if destination net is
not found, it sends the datagram to the "router
assigned by default".

"Routes by especific host": The routing is based in
networks not in hosts. But, in some cases (like mine!
fingers crossed)many routing ip software allow an
admin to operate routing tables in order to debug
network connection or to have more control over the
datagrams.

Which one suits my needs? How can i put this theory on
practique? and put it on my network? and in my OS? on
my rc.conf? in my rc.networks? ..etc.

p.s. Please, i know "name-based" hosting is an option
but i cant use due clients needs.

FreeBSD rulez forever!