Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:02:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   volunteering (was Re: Ports)

Hi,

(moved from -advocacy to -chat)

Brett Glass writes:
> It's easy to say "it's not broken" until you attempt to bring in a
> port, for a version of the OS that was released very recently, and
> find out that it's an old version that has a security hole.

And do you not patch security holes in the OS?  You have to do that by
hand since you apparently only run releases.  You are completely
inconsistent - you are apparently happy to patch security holes in the OS
but not in the ports.  If you're not willing to track -STABLE and must do
patches by hand then you should be more than willing to not track the
ports and patch those by hand.  At least be consistent with your
ramblings.

> Give me a break. The two most recent offers I've made to "give back"
> have been rejected. One of these -- an offer to devote a bunch of time
> to getting FreeBSD running on IBM Netfinity servers -- was rejected
> rather capriciously. Such treatment doesn't exactly make folks feel as
> if contributions are welcome.

Maybe that's because you insulted Mike Smith when you did it?  I don't
know how you think you come across to people, but you come off as a
know-it-all, not willing to actually contribute whiner who hates the GPL.

I've told you two times now there are plenty of ways to contribute by
maintaining ports.  Hell, you don't even have to become the maintainer.
Take a port that doesn't work under 2.2.8 now due to the changeover to
ELF.  Fix it so it works for 2.2.8 without breaking it for -STABLE.  Make
a diff, send-pr to ports and get it committed.  It's not that hard.  You
don't have to ask anyone.  You don't _need_ permission to go futz w/ the
port from the maintainer.  You SHOULD submit your diffs to him before
doing the send-pr but that's not a big deal.  If you want to be really
polite you would send an email saying "I'm trying to make this port work
for 2.2.8 wo/ breaking the -STABLE build.  I'll send you any diffs when I
get this done."  I seriously doubt that any maintainer would mind.

Everyone else who has been on this thread is listed as a developer or
contributor in the handbook.  You are not.  All of us have spent time
actually working on making FreeBSD better.  Yes, you've written articles.
Great.  Then you antagonize all of the Linux (and BSD) people about the
GPL and take a pool of people who might switch to FreeBSD and push them
away.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *