Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:07:45 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Steven <magusbaal@digitalbastards.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI oddity

Jason Andresen wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> Jason Andresen wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still curious if this is a problem with FreeBSD, with my
>>> motherboard, or with the Cards themselves.  Is it unusual for a card
>>> to share nicely?  Not one manual for any of my cards even mentions
>>> IRQ sharing.
>>
>> Then they probably don't.  IRQ sharing is one of those things that cards
>> usually brag about if they support.
>>
>> If you have non-sharing cards trying to use a shared interrupt, it won't
>> work.  Crashes don't surprise me under these circumstances.
>

> What would I be looking for on the box/datasheet/whitepaper to find if a
> card supports sharing?  Is there an acronym?   Looking at the Intel Pro
> 100+ (which IIRC someone claimed supported sharing) on Intel's site
> (http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro100_dsktop.htm)
> nothing really stands out and says "I support sharing".  The only thing
> I see that even looks remotely interesting is the claim that it supports
> INTA, which seems a little odd since AFAIK the 4 regular PCI interrupts
> are INTA-INTD, so this looks like it's claiming to suppport interrupts.

OK, you got me here.  I was apparently speaking without knowing what I was
saying when I said "cards usually brag about if they support".
I know factually that those card support interrupt sharing, because I've
used them in that way.  Yet I didn't see anything on the spec sheet to
indicate that.

So, in light of this, I don't really know how to tell if a card supports
interrupt sharing or not.  I do remember a machine where we couldn't get
it working right using the bottom 2 pci slots because they were sharing
an interrupt and the card didn't support interrupt sharing.  In this case,
we had a spare slot and we just rearranged the cards and everything worked
fine.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies