Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 13:30:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Lester P. Wang, MD." <lpwang@stoner.sinet.com>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Jim Marker <jemstone@ifx.net>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any SCSI Tape Drive OK?

On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 10:27:09PM -0500, Lester P. Wang, MD. wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 08:06:14AM -0500, Lester P. Wang wrote:
>>> I just bought an Archive 4586NPR external model for $379 from
>>> CSC. (http://www.corpsys.com)  The tape drive is an autoloading tape drive
>>> that can hold up to 12 DAT drives.  Mine appears completely new.  These are
>>> sold as refurbished.  According to the sales person, they found a warehouse
>>> full of them.  Archive was bought out by Conner.  Conner was bought out by
>>> Seagate.  The drive is also known as a Seagate 4586NPR.  From what I have
>>> read from the web, it works with FreeBSD and Amanda.  I am in the process
>>> of getting my system up.
>>> P.S.  The internal model is $279.
>>
>> I've had one of these (the internal version) for about 10 months now.
>> I've been very happy with it.
>>
>>> From what I have heard, it takes up more than one FH slot because of
>>> the cartridge.
>>
>> No, that's not correct.  If you buy the 12-cartridge cassette, which I
>> personally feel a waste of money ($100), it operates in the open
>> position.  The 4-cartridge cassette fits inside, so it can operated in
>> the closed position.  In either case, it takes up two half-height
>> slots.
>
> Just out of curiousity.  Does the 2.2.2 port make use of the SCSI
> changer abilities of this tape drive?

I've heard that it does, but I haven't tried it.  For the purposes I
use, it's adequate that 'eject' moves to the next cartridge, since I
just use it for cyclical backups.

> I've seen that Amanda 2.3.0.4 makes use of the changer capabilities.

I don't use Amanda?

> Are you using the drive to backup any other OS's like Linux, Win 95
> and NT?

What's that?

Seriously, I don't use any of these systems.  But I would can't
imagine that you would have any difficulty using it the way I am.

Greg