Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:48:36 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Luiz Lins <luigi@vecom.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many files

In the last episode (Nov 11), Luiz Lins said:
> Greetings,
>
>     I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 working with apache and hosting a huge site.
> It has about 2,000 accesses per day. I compiled the kernel with the
> following options:
> CHILD_MAX=256
> OPEN_MAX=2000

All this does it raise the per-process limits.  If the kernel isn't
configured for 2000 open files (or 256 processes), it won't mean a
thing.

What is maxusers (in your kernel config) set to, and what does the
command "sysctl -a | grep kern.max" print?

> Please, send the solution directly to my e-mail; I don't
> subscribe this list.

Standard procedure for the FreeBSD lists is to always send a copy to
the sender and the list.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com