Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:28:10 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flashplugin9?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 02:07:08PM -0800, prad wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:47:23 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
>
> > If I stick with FreeBSD as my main desktop, I want firefox and
> > flashplugin-9.  So far, no joy.  I have firefox2, and when I try to
> > pkg_delete, I find gnome2 is just one of the dependicies.
> > linux-flashplugin-9 is installed as well as the pluginwrapper ports,
> > but still YouTube won't work.
> >
> gary,
>
> my son just got it all to work according to the directions in the
> handbook (section 6.2.3):
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html
>
> using firefox3 and www/linux-flashplugin9 on fbsd7.1
>
> (note they say you need www/linux-flashplugin7 if you are using an
> older version of fbsd ... which would explain why i haven't been able
> to get it to work since i installed 9 on 7.0

	hmm.  well, after my kernerl wipeout i rebuilt EVERYTHING and now
	have 7.1.  (up from 7.0-pre)  ...

... not that i want to use
> flash in the first place since there is a great benefit to telling all
> the irritating people i can't use flash which is that you don't have to
> watch all the amazing videos they just discovered on the web that they
> want to share with you as though they think you don't have better
> things to do with your life than to watch the nonsense they think is
> wonderful ... therefore, noflash => less bothersome existence).

	oh, i hear you.
	many of the site i login to use flash [or ask you to
	d/load+install it ] for commercials.  something i despise,
	but that's another matter.

	youtube is just an example.  i want video mostly to stream the
	pbs videos that i miss because i'm often helping my daughter with
	her homework:-) ... and there are other streams too.  i just
	installed miro here.  it fails.  don't know why.   seems like if
	not flash, no video.  (*sigh*)  be nice if things-java were the
	easiest/best way, but evidently now.

	gary

	gary