Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 19:31:10 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about the gnu/contrib source tree

Almost. :)

Stuff in /usr/src/contrib is imported straight from GNU; in other words,
we basically FTP patch.tar.gz (or whatever the filename is) from
ftp.gnu.org, and put everything in the src/ directory into
/usr/src/contrib/patch.

Anything we modify from these sources goes into
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/patch, as well as the Makefile we use to build
patch. You cannot cd /usr/src/contrib/patch and run make install and
expect it to work; you must cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/patch and run make
install there.

To sum it up, basically, stuff in /usr/src/contrib comes from GNU; stuff
in /usr/src/gnu/ comes from FreeBSD.

Eric