Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:13:26 +0000
From:      John Ekins <jre@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Directory hashing question

Hello,

I have a question about "best" practices for directory hashing. I have about 80,000 zone files which are named after the domain which I generate using a Perl script. I'm looking for the best hashing to reduce the start up time for bind.

I've tried different hashings. Using example.foo as an example (:-)), if I take the first and second letters of the domain and hash it like this /var/named/e/x/example.foo I still end up with (in a few cases) more than 3000 zones in one directory. If I hash using the first+second and third+fourth like this /var/named/ex/am/example.com I end up with a lot fewer zones in the individual directories, but bind's start up time is much longer.

I can live with the first hasing if I need to, but I'm seeking some advice and suggestions on what others think (or know) would be better.

Cheers,
John Ekins.