Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 08:30:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        Joe Bissot <jblist@pcinternet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named server keeps locking

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Joe Bissot wrote:

> I had a NT workstation running software.com's bind it has worked flawlessly
> for over a year. I switched the system to FreeBSD 2.2.8 and it is hanging.
> The server will work for a while then it just hangs. The IP still responds
> to pings but that is it. I'm not sure what else to do. I have reset and
> even rebuilt the box but nothing changes. I don't have any great clues as
> to what is happening as it just goes blank and poof its over. I'm going to
> have to put NT back on to restore my uptime???? Is there a known problem
> with 2.2.8 and named? I have a 2.2.7 CD maybe I will try that
> instead....... ?????

Do the logs give you any clue? Does named die, or does it merely stop
responding? Which revision of 2.2.8 are you on? Is it 2.2.8-RELEASE, or
have you updated it with a recent snapshot (or rebuilt it from recent
sources)? How long is "a while?" Does the time of death coincide with any
other network events?

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji