Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:58:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Desktop OS with support for Windows

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> # nelis@brabys.co.za / 2002-11-28 16:14:38 +0200:
> > Hi People
> >
> > I want to use FreeBSD as my desktop OS with Gnome but I still need to do
> > Windows luser support. I have installed Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7 Stable and
> > now I'm trying to figure out what is the best solution. Does the Vmware
> > port still work and or should I just install Samba and which Office
> > Software would be best suited to use that is compatible with MS Word and
> > Exel ? I know of Openoffice, Gnomeoffice and Staroffice but have had no
> > experience using either.
> >
> > Your suggestions, help much appreciated.
>
>     I use TightVNC instead of vmware. Works quite fine, and it's almost
>     free (GPL).
>     As for office software: all my attempts to use various incarnations
>     ended in disasters:
>
>         Koffice (~1 year ago): no Kapplication lasted longer than ~30
>         seconds
>         AbiWord (june/july): 70% of attempts to save a short and simple
>         .doc made Abi go in a tight loop or just die. I ended up using
>         wv (/usr/ports/textproc/wv), which *did* work as advertised.
>         OpenOffice (~1 month ago): crash! boom! bang!
>
>     so, my advice would be: vmware or vnc.

My experience with OpenOffice 1.0.1 is much better than yours, I did a lot
of tasks successfully.

I use vmware (version 2) continuously with 4.x-R (in the moment 4.7-R) and
it works very well. As far as I know there is no support for hosting
the current vmware version 3 on FreeBSD.

Best regards
K. Heuer