Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:45:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

		Hi there folx,

	After having a lot of problems with different
	motherboards under FreeBSD I've switched to the
	"editor's choice" - ASUS P54TP4 mb.,which was
	recommended here by Jordan :)
	Few problems went away ( like random reboots and
	stuff), but oneremains consistent:

	the freaking system loks each and every day and
	I think this is because of .... something related
	to HD activity/driver/adapter/whatever.

	The system is P90,Adaptec 2940 PCI _SCSI adapter,
	SMC EtherPower.

	The symptoms:

	system locks at random times w/o any messages at the console/
	log files. Locks means the system becomes unreachable neither
	from the local net nor from the console
	After I hit "reboot" switch, system reboots up to the fsck
	level and it starts complaining that it can't read partition
	information off the second HDD ( Seagate Barracuda 4 Gb) (!).

	If one hits "reboot" again and goes to the Adaptec BIOS and runs
	disk utilities --> media check from there - the BIOS (!) complains
	that it can not  talk to the second HD.

	The problem goes away _only after powercycling the whole PC.
	I never saw the stuff like this before ... any suggestions ?
	Any bugs in Adaptec BIOSes ? Release numbers ?

	I've changed the Adaptecs - just in case... didn't help.
	Will try to do the same with Seagate Barracuda ... never
	had the problem with 'em before though

	Everything is fine till you don;t have too much activity going
	on system. Some of the servers I have here run for months w./o
	problems - but they do DNS/WWW/INN stuff.
	As soon as you put 3000- 4000 users on the system - that when
	the shit begins.

	Till now _the most stable version is SNAP back from Feb 95.
	It is up for 24 days, runs 4000 account, 50-70 users online.
	Bad things about it :
	no support for 2940,SMC EtherPower and QUOTAs don't work.

	I don't want to get  rid of this perfect test place for FreeBSD
	but I  can not stand by PC and wait to reboot it all the time.
	Looks to me that no1 runs the FreeBSD in such complex env. so
	I'd like to be able to continue this, but there is always a
	limit :(

	Rashid