Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:04:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Sabban <eric@clickrebates.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 sysinstall fails to recognize disks

I say again, DO NOT low-level format the drive.  The _only_ situation
where it's worth taking this risk is when you're seeing errors from the
drive itself specifically referring to formatting issues; eg. 'address
mark not found'.  There are no other circumstances which justify this
action, and a great deal of harm can come from it.

> I normally wouldn't recommend it. But the same situation with a different (not to be mentioned) OS happened to me.
> After hours of being frustrated, I decided the scsi controller went south. A cow-orker told me to LL the drive,
> and voila, magic. These were IBM LVD 10kRPM drives, brand spankin new. I'd recommend updating sysinstall first, if
> that doesn't work, LL the drives.

Wrong solution.