Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:24:20 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "P. U. Kruppa" <520023893678-0001@t-online.de>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thoughts about ports freeze

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 03:19:16PM +0000, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
> > Well, all this is fine, but doesn't answer one of my main points: why
> > do we shift responsibility for our inability to encourage fellow developers
> > to pay attention to CURRENT not only to stable to our end users?
> Why should any developer care for a system which is not used
> and tested by end users?

It's clear that end users don't know how to advance technology, so
if you wonder why developers should care about systems that are not
used by end users, who do you think does advance technology?

You don't discover new worlds if you don't have explorers and you
don't build a society if you don't have settlers. Somebody has to
pay (and I don't mean the suppressed native inhabitants of the
newly explored worlds :-) and those are the people who stay home.
The home-stayers will always complain about why new land has to be
discovered and particularly why they have to pay for it and the
explorers and settlers will continue to argue that it's for the
good of all.

I guess it's an old story, but it applies here as well...