Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2015 16:54:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: x11: howto disable rogue touchpad?

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:54:58 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Using most recent CURRENT with up-to-date ports and X11 on a Lenovo
> ThinkPad E540, I fight with the world biggest crap ever invented - the
> Lenovo TouchPad! Fighting with ghost moves of the mouse, ghost-cut-and
> paste, ghost jumps, I'm about to physically rip of that crap out of the
> notebooks chassis!

Bow down and praise the wise wisdom of the masses! ;-)

> I seek a way to disable that touchpad. The crap EFI firmware of that
> series (which seems a reduced form of the firmware of more expensive
> types) doesn't allow me to disable the touchpad. So there must be found
> a solution via X11.

If I remember correctly, the integrated finger fat smear annoying
device (usually called "touchpad" in this context) is being represented
to the system as a PS/2 mouse (older models) or as a USB mouse (newer
models). If you do _not_ load a driver for that device, it should be
disabled. You should be able to do this with a partial xorg.conf. It
might be possible with the HAL/DBus/ConsoleKit XML conglomerate of
doom, but I can't tell you where the setting is, _if_ there is...

However, this might cause problems with other pointing devices
you might have installed. Especially if the touchpad is represented
"in parallel" with the TrackPoint (if your model has one). It's also
possible that X picks up an external USB mouse and the trackpad and
"connects" it to the same (and only) pointer arrow, so this would
lead to disabling _all_ pointing devices which obviously is not what
you want.

In short: Cut the red wire. :-)

--
Polytropon