Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:05:18 -0500
From:      Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos@firstbhph.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and VMware tools (was Re: FreeBSD 7RC2 and VMware tools)

On Thursday 28 February 2008 9:54 pm, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 09:48:43 pm Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
> > which version of the guest tool should I be installing for VMWare
> > Server 1.0.4?
> > guestd5 and guestd6 both core dump.
>
> I haven't actually tried to use any version from the ports recently,
> opting instead to manually use the tarball on the "CD" that gets inserted
> when you select the "Install VMware Tools" option in the host.
>
> JN

(Not sure if top-posting is frowned on here, but I'll follow the convention
used by other lists I subscribe to, and continue this here.)

Mine has been a long, strange trip in installing and making VMware Tools work
on FBSD 7.0.  My latest go has me
installing /usr/ports/emulators/vmware-guestd6/, then the VMware-supplied
tools.  I've already mentioned that I had to symlink libc.so.6 to get the
VMware version to run.  I also had to symlink /lib/libm.so.4
to /lib/libm.so.5 in order to get vmware-toolbox to work.  I've followed a
couple of posts in other forums (or fora, if you prefer :-)  ) that suggest
using the e1000 NIC driver (e.g. communities.vmware.com/message/352504), but
it fails.  This is the last piece I need to make work.  Suggestions?

Thanks.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.