Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>, bwoods2@uswest.net, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > If you're gonna use a port, use ports for its dependencies too. You'd be
> > stupid not to use the ports whenever you can. No one has ever provided
> > me a convincing reason why this is not true.
>
> Well when you want to keep multiple versions of kde or qt around.. and
> want to be able to remove them in one fell swoop.. and the "packing
> lists" aren't for sure known.. yes it helps to have its own directory.
>
> For a normal desktop user you're perhaps right.  But not using the ports
> for some things does not make one stupid, as quite possibly there's a good
> reason behind it.

Also, for several ports, our ports break build compatibility with any
other package of that type.  I'm not sure if that's clear ... tcl is a
fine example, tho.  We break the location of the config files that all tcl
packages rely upon to build, for the purpose of allowing folks to run
multiple versions simultaneously.  Tcl isn't the only one like that,
either.  Anyone who wants to be able to build other tcl software that
isn't derived from a port would be well advised to avoid using our port.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.