Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:49:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        a-scotki@Exchange.Microsoft.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to install FreeBSD on a Compaq Proliant 5500 serve r with . . .

In article <local.mail.freebsd-questions/19398D273324D3118A2B0008C7E9A5697E6825@SIT.platinum.corp.microsoft.com> you write:
>that it would boot.  Does FreeBSD support the Compaq SmartArray Controller
>2?  If so, have I missed something when configuring for installation?

Yes, FreeBSD -STABLE and -CURRENT support the Smart Array controller.
However, this support is not in 3.2R, AFAIK.  You will either have to
install with just normal SCSI support (if you have other SCSI devices)
and then build a custom kernel with the `ida' device, or make a custom
boot disk with the `ida' device.   The latter is required because this
device is not in the GENERIC kernel.
--
Jonathan