Date:      Fri, 7 May 2004 10:10:53 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to a Headless machine, after install

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:01:29PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> Funny, that I'm struggling with opposite problem: I do not get the
> boot messages over the serial cable, but do get the login prompt,
> which I do not understand :(.

You probably need to tell the kernel to use the serial console:

# echo '-h' > /boot.config

Also make sure you have the appropriate flags for your serial device driver,
for sio on RELENG_4 use

device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

or if you're on 5.x edit /boot/device.hints and set

hint.sio.0.flags=3D"0x10"

(this should be the default though).

There's another knob for uart(4) on 5.x but I don't remember it right now.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead of
altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their vi=
ews
=2E.. which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts =
that
needs altering.
		-- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND