Date:      Mon, 07 Mar 2011 09:48:00 -0600
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL must die!

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:32:59 -0600, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Um, why exactly are so many people against HAL?

HAL is deprecated now. All projects using HAL are in the process or have
already migrated away from it. KDE has pluggable backends, so that's not a
big deal, but XFCE doesn't support anything but udisks/udev/upower. The
BSD community will have to supply their own patchset to achieve the same
functionality. GNOME should be heading in the same direction if it hasn't
already.

Unfortunately, we're going to be without a cross-platform solution.
Hopefully other projects will follow KDE and allow us to easily supply our
own backend to powerd and devd.

Regards,

Mark