Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 06:41:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@kilroy.id.net>
To:        dzerkel@feephi.phofarm.com (Danny J. Zerkel)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too many sig 11's

> > > I've had a lot of problems with sig 11s again in 2.0.5-ALPHA...  Some
> > > things won't even execute (e.g., ftp, troff).  Others die during execution
> > > sometimes (during make of kernel).  At this point, I'm so frustrated I
> > > don't even know what to look for.  Any help?
> >
> > You may have a trashed kernel.  During the bin install, how many pieces
> > does it say it's getting?
>
> I've rebuilt the kernel (typing make MANY times and rm any *.o that resulted
> from a sig 11'd cc).  And it still happens.  The bin install complained BIG
> time.  Many "skipping to next header" messages.  It looks like it is having
> a problem with untarring.  "cat bin.* | tar tzf -" dies at different places
> each time I try it.  Same for sgames.* and sgnu.*...  It's possible that I
> have something set wrong in the kernel I built, but it is impossible for me
> to tell (the LINT file is like having only the even numbered pages of a book).
> And I can't tell if the differences between LINT and GENERIC mean anything.
>
> As an example of the present wierdness: /usr/bin/ftp dumps core immediately
> and /stand/ftp works fine.

See, and this is the same exact problem we are having.  We run a MUD game
on one of our 2.0.5 machines, and it SEG_FAULT's at LEAST once an hour,
sometimes as often as every 5 to 10 minutes.  This was both with the
distributed kernel, and our rebuilt kernels.  The same exact game ran
just fine for DAYS under 1.1.5.1, no problems what-so-ever.  I think
there is some serious problem stuck somewhere deep in the 2.0 conversion.
More than likely it's memory related. ;)

	-- Rob