Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:18:32 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        sergei@gnezdov.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the definition of the stale port?

Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
> On 2005-04-07, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
>>> How do I end up having stale ports?
>>
>> As time marches on :-)
>
> I am guessing, that port becomes stale after running cvsup.

When a new version of a port is committed, anyone running the older version
has a stale version.  Whether you run cvsup or not doesn't affect whether a
new version is available, but you are a lot more likely to notice dependency
issues after running cvsup.

> So, what exactly are we supposed to accomplish in respect to stale
> ports, when we run pkgdb -F (deinstall, some kind of fix, simple
> ignore)?

pkgdb tries to update the dependencies when new versions of a port appear.
Running pkgdb by itself is not especially useful, although you can check and
rebuild updated ports by hand.  Consider portupgrade instead....

--
-Chuck