Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:49:00 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        mel anthony <acidrop50@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell scripts?

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 01:29:52PM -0700, mel anthony wrote:
> hey, im wondering about shell scripts, how do i
> make them, and do i have to use a certain
> language, and also, how do i make them a
> permanent part of the shell?, any help would be
> greatly apprechiated.

A shell script is just a bunch of commands (both builtin shell
commands and normal Unix utilities, cp(1), ls(1), etc.) stuffed in a
file which is made executable and then run from the command line.
Normally sh(1) is used for shell scripts (although any shell can be
used. If the first line is:

#! /bin/sh

then it's a Bourne (sh(1)) shell script. Take a look at
/etc/periodic/{daily,weekly,monthly} for examples.

If you need to ask such basic questions (please don't take offence,
I'm not being patronizing) then you should get a good book on
the subject. One I would recommend is The Unix Programming Environment
by Brian W. Kernighan (the 'K' in 'K&R') and Rob Pike, Prentice-Hall,
ISBN 0-13-937681-X.

I'm sure there are some good tutorials on the Web but I don't know any
URLs.

Also checkout the sh(1) manpage.

HTH

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie