Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 00:06:29 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   init hangs leaving single user mode

I built and installed world and kernel on tuesday (4 days ago).

I am running -stable on a 4010cdt toshiba satellite.

I have 2 PCCards: the Noteworthy 56k modem that comes with the machine, and
a Kingston ethernet card.

I do this:

shutdown now

and then

exit

My modem is on sio1 and my ethernet on ed0.  As multi-user mode is starting,
whichever card is in the system is bumped to the next higher device number,
according to the kernel (bold print) message (sio1->sio2, ed0->ed1).  In
either case, the machine hangs after printing this line.  These messages do
not appear in any log because the machine locks while writing them.

If I removed the cards, start multi-user mode, then re-insert them,
everything works fine.

I will happily provide any other info requested.

Jonathon
--
Microsoft complaining about the source license used by
Linux is like the event horizon calling the kettle black.