Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:27:01 +0100
From:      "Barry Byrne" <bb@wbtsystems.com>
To:        <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: anonymous-ftp cracked

Jack:

I too need to maintain an incoming directory on a couple of servers. The
trick of making the directory unreadable really works. I still get probed on
a daily basis (perhaps from two or three different IPs) but they all seem to
do a small test transfer followed by an attempt to download) once it fails
they go away. I run a small script every 15 minutes to move any recent
uploads to an internally accessible directory for our users. It only takes
one night with a readable/writable ftp server to be filled with warez/etc.

Cheers,

Barry

--
Barry Byrne, IT Manager,