Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:02:36 -0500
From:      "Josh M. Osborne" <stripes@eng.us.uu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sound card recomendation?

I have this ProAudioSpectrum sound card that use to work Ok in
FreeBSD, but the driver seems to have suffered bit rot (I think
the compony that made them went bankrupt in the mid-90s).  It was
a great card in '92, and I got a great deal on it.  But I think it
is time to leave it behind.  Besides it is the last ISA device in
my machine.

Do you have any recomdations on PCI sound cards?  The section in
the FreeBSD handbook seems way out of date, and the search engine
in FreeBSD.org isn't very helpful.

Are any of the cheap 3D sound cards supported?  Failing that are
any of the cheap 2D cards supported better then others?

I looked in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci but it doesn't really say
anything about the quality of any of the cards, or indeed if I can
beleve random webpages google hands me when I search for "FreeBSD aureal"
that any given driver works (lots of places claim the aureal driver
sort of kind of works and coding has stalled waiting on docs).  Plus
they don't exactly say what the consumer name of the cards are (as
opposed to the chipset that drives it).