Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sushanth Rai <sushanth_rai@yahoo.com>
To:        Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing link status in bge driver

"ifconfig bge1 media none" does change the PHY status temporarily. I see the following when I run this command:

bge1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
      options=bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether 00:40:d0:b8:1e:0b
        media: Ethernet none
        status: no carrier

After a few seconds if I do "ifconfig bge1", it's automagically changed to:

bge1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
      options=bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether 00:40:d0:b8:1e:0b
        media: Ethernet none (1000baseTX <full-duplex>)
        status: active

I tried playing around with mediaopt, but PHY status doesn't seem to change permanently.