Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:26:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, webmaster@wmptl.com, bwoods2@uswest.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> > As I recall, the 600E's modem doesn't work with FreeBSD, and
> > power management doesn't work.
>
> Like every laptop I have ever used, the built-n modem is a
> Winmodem. But the problem is no worse with the 600E than with a Dell
> or Gateway with a built-in Winmodem.
>
> Power management works just fine on my 600E.
>
> The only real annoyance I have with the 600E is the sound. It
> seemingly randomly probes as pcm0 or pcm1. If it probes as pcm0, it
> works fine. If it probes as pcm1, it's dead. I hate computers with
> non-deterministic behavior!

I don't have that problem, but I'm still running FreeBSD 2.2.8 on
mine. :)

(The 3.X series had truly messed up laptop support, as it took some time
for my handoff of the maintenance to Warner, but he's done an awesome
job with 4.X.  I just haven't had the time or inclination to upgrade,
since everything works fine right for what I'm using it for.)

> Other then that, I have always preferred ThinkPads because of the
> excellent keyboard (I'm very finicky about that), the TrackPoint (if I
> don't plug in an external mouse) and the 3-button "mouse". Fairly
> light, too.

My reasons as well.

Nate